Sunday, July 29, 2018

Biochemistry wk 12 - Cell Biology and Radioactivity

The daily radiation exposure comparison chart was quite interesting to me.  It drove home that on top of a CT Scan being a "crazy x ray" it really does expose the individual to many more times the amount of radiation than a x ray image will.   The difference in cvert dosage that a airplane passenger is exposed to was also interesting to me.  I am still pondering why amount changed relative to the seat?  I am assuming that the radiation is not coming from a single direction, so people in the front have less of a human shield to radiation exposure than those seated at the rear of the plane.  I confess my ignorance on the design of a plane, my intuition is that there is more structure around the wings then in the front or rear of the aircraft and I would think more structure would mean more of a barrier between cosmic radiation and passengers.


Mushrooms are also wicked interesting bioacumulators, and I can understand how the cost of using mushrooms to track the radiation in the soil would be less than using livestock.  It does still belay the question of how is the irradiated fungi or meat disposed of?  And does that create more of a radioactive hazard?

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering the same about the radiation dosage changes at different parts of the plane and how they dispose of irradiated mushroom. I was thinking that maybe the plane is always flying at an angle with the front of the plane slightly higher, but I don't watch planes enough to know if that is even true, and if so, would it really make that much of a difference? As for the radioactive mushrooms... how indeed?? Can't eat them. I mean, honestly, how do they dispose of radioactive stuff in general without effecting the environment and poisoning people? Japan doesn't seem to know either since they have a ton of radioactive wastewater just sitting there. Makes me think if you can't get rid of it, why dig it up and use it to power stuff in the first place?

    ReplyDelete