Monday, May 21, 2018

Physics Wk 2 - Quantum Physics

Quantum uncertainty describes how when dealing with the smallest parts of matter that it is impossible to know both the exact position in space & how much momentum that particle has.  In class we spent some time discussing how difficult it os for the western scientific mind to be at ease with the concept of uncertainty. Also how we as students of Traditional Chinese Medicine are learning to think in a more eastern way and this may allow us to be less at odds with concept of uncertainty.  This line of conversation raised the question for me: Are there any eastern minds working on quantum mechanics now, or in the past?  It struck me when reading the article on A history of Quantum Mechanics that all of the scientist seemed to be Eastern European men.

I wasn't very clear upon reflection about what Quantum  Causality and Entanglement was referring to so I did a quick web search and found a 2012 article published from the University of Vienna Quantum causal relations: A causes B causes A

"in quantum mechanics it is possible to conceive situations in which a single event can be both, a cause and an effect of another one."

Quantum Causality seems to remove the arrows of time from the equation of A causality.  Is it the observer that and the space time that they are occupying that forms the time directional relationship of causality of solidify?

I have a difficulty with terms such as weird/normal. I find that they are very difficult to operationally define, and if they are not very specifically defined then they have a subjective meaning for each reader.  I as the writer have my concepts of normality based upon my life experiences, which will not be the same as the normality of the reader.  So, I will respond to the idea of is the Universe full of the unexpected.  Absolutely.  I think the sciences of humanity, and quantum physics are just at the brink of seeing how much we have learned already has given us a lens to view the staggering and mind bending depths of the unknown universe that is yet to be understood.
Your comments on Causality
Is the Universe weird?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tiana,
    I thought I would post a response to your comment above about the history of quantum mechanics. You ask, "Are there any Eastern minds working on quantum mechanics now, or in the past?" In my limited study of the topic, I would say that maybe they didn't call what they were studying quantum mechanics. It seems like Eastern mysticism revolves around all of these topics of discussion. I looked for some info after reading your blogpost and found a wikipedia article on Fritjof Capra's book, "The Tao of Physics."

    This is a little excerpt from his book:

    I had several discussions with Heisenberg. I lived in England then [circa 1972], and I visited him several times in Munich and showed him the whole manuscript chapter by chapter. He was very interested and very open, and he told me something that I think is not known publicly because he never published it. He said that he was well aware of these parallels. While he was working on quantum theory he went to India to lecture and was a guest of Tagore. He talked a lot with Tagore about Indian philosophy. Heisenberg told me that these talks had helped him a lot with his work in physics, because they showed him that all these new ideas in quantum physics were in fact not all that crazy. He realized there was, in fact, a whole culture that subscribed to very similar ideas. Heisenberg said that this was a great help for him. Niels Bohr had a similar experience when he went to China.[1]

    I think it is striking that Heisenberg and Bohr were influenced by their visits to the East. I think their ideas were validated.

    Here is one article I found that looks interesting and I thought I would share it.

    https://www.theepochtimes.com/3-concepts-ancient-chinese-science-grasped-modern-physics-just-learning_726622.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like entanglement is just another way of saying we are all connected and the movement or thoughts or actions of one--will ultimately effect all of us..........and we are all - each other- you are me--and I am you.....so any cause is also the effect--and nothing exists at all in that same moment-- because of dependant origination

    ReplyDelete
  3. the whole quantum aspect is pretty intense and detailed

    ReplyDelete